Home Page

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Plants for Clay Soil

I have been threatening to redo my front planters for several years now, and never seem to get around to it. Too busy exploring the wide world of gardening to actually do some! For these two planters, I want to do more than pick up a few attractive plants from the nursery. I have a purpose – to create a native (or Mediterranean), drought-tolerant, deer-tolerant entrance to the house, with seasonal interest, low maintenance, and consideration for the garden’s historical roots.

Ceanothus spp. - I love the blue flowers of this Ceanothus that thrives down by the beach in Alameda, but the plant is five feet tall, with a 15 feet spread! It would cover both of my planters in no time. I'm on a quest for something similar but shorter. 

A previous owner of our house established the garden, working with her friend and neighbor sharing plants and ideas; and planting the maples, Chinese elm, and oak tree that are now mature. Our garden has an Asian feel to it, being under the care of a wonderful gardener who excels in “big bonsai.” I’d like to retain that feel, but start using plants that require less water than plants in the Asian palette, and that can thrive in the clay soil and partial shade of the south-facing aspect. I realize that native plants often take several years to become established, and are often picky about where they thrive, so my plan must take the long view. Plant the bones (such as shrubs and woody perennials) first, and then plant a succession of plants to fill in while they become established.

Arctostaphylos spp. - we discovered this low, shrubby Manzanita in Bryce a couple of years ago. I love the way the light filters through the upright leaves, and am searching for something similar for the Bay Area.

With these goals in mind, I will be researching several categories of plants over the next few weeks, including low shrubs, perennials (both woody and herbaceous), annuals, and bulbs. I am also looking for local nurseries that specialize in native plants that thrive in the San Francisco Bay Area. Native plants are sometimes scarce and difficult to find in stock, so Fall and Spring Plant Sales held by local botanical gardens are a good source. The upcoming San Francisco Garden Show is another good source for native plants. I will be ready, with plant lists in hand.

No comments: