Home Page

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Raised Bed Revamp

Last year we let the raised bed lay fallow. We were too busy to plant, so let the soil have a rest by default. It killed me to not plant tomatoes, but some years are like that – other matters need tending.

Earlier this month I ripped out the existing drip system, and amended the soil with a good, organic amendment from Home Depot. I dug deep to incorporate the material with the original soil. I was surprised at the number of advantageous roots that had worked their way into the soil, no doubt from the surrounding trees and bushes. The nerve!
Rust-clogged emitter

I considered recycling the drip components, but, on inspection, found that many of them had rust build up that was clogging the emitters and pipes. So, I started fresh with a new design that used all new parts and fittings. The water seems to flow better with the new fittings.

New drip pipes and emitters

Now I’m ready to plant. According to the Community Gardening East Bay Planting Guide, I should be able to plant now. But I know from experience that our property, which is situated at the base of a hill, often runs a little colder than other places in the East Bay. I’ll wait a couple of weeks to plant my summer and winter vegetables.

Raised bed is ready to plant
 

No comments: