Home Page

Monday, February 21, 2011

Welcome to Eden

This blog is dedicated to gardening in the San Francisco Bay Area. If you are new to the Bay Area, this might help you transfer your gardening skills and knowledge; if you are a long time gardener in the area, share what you know.
By now you have probably encountered the clay soil and summer drought conditions that characterize the area. You may wonder why I refer to Eden. Eden brings about images of a lush, verdant garden, in direct contrast with the dry climate, brown hills, and small-leaved plants that you have observed. But, over the past 13 years in the area, I have come to appreciate the fabulous climate, the tenacious, drought-tolerant native plants, and the subtle seasonal differences. As my ideas of gardens and gardening have been challenged and transformed, the Bay Area has become a type of Eden.
I enjoy the science and art of growing things, and the community of those who share that interest. I thrive on taking field trips, interviewing people, and taking classes. I love learning about tools, history of gardens and gardeners, plant mechanics, pruning, roof top gardens, native plants, and garden design. My life quest is to learn how to be (not just do), and to sit at the feet of the Master Gardener. I would love your company!

1 comment:

RTQ said...

Great Start, Marg! What's next?