Home Page

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Freshly Planted

I finished planting the first batch of veggies in the raised bed. This includes four kinds of tomatoes from starters; and carrots, radishes, lettuce, Kentucky pole beans, and Sugar Snap peas from seeds. In a few weeks, I’ll plant a second batch of carrots, radishes, beans and peas, to extend production, and add broccoli, chard, another type of lettuce, as well as pumpkin and squash.

It’s only been a week, and I already see a few sprouts. This is a relief since, inexplicably, it is raining in June. Yes, rain in June. I was afraid my seeds might rot, wash away, or be exposed and eaten by birds. This is very atypical for the San Francisco Bay Area. Usually we don’t see rain past April.

Tomatoe starters and radish sprouts (lower right corner)
This is my first experiment planting in several phases. I plan to do more intermediate planting as vegetables finish their life cycle. I’m loosely following information from Renee’s Garden, specifically the Long Summer, Mild Winter Garden design for USDA zones 8-10 (http://www.reneesgarden.com/hm-gardnr/resource/designs.htm). The design provides an ongoing planting schedule through spring, summer, and fall. The design is for 18 by 20 feet, and I have 4 by 8 feet, so a few adaptations are needed!

No comments: