Home Page

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Farmers’ Market to Your Door

An option for obtaining fresh produce in the San Francisco Bay Area is to subscribe to a co-op or distributor. For years I’ve subscribed to Spud (formerly The Box, until it was acquired by Spud; http://www.spud.com/). Every two weeks I receive a box of organically grown fruits and vegetables, mostly from local or nearly-local farms and orchards. The produce is beautiful, delicious, and farm fresh.

Organic peas grown in the Bay Area

I typically get a standard box with in-season produce every two weeks. I can customize if I want, but I typically like to be surprised with what is in season, and adapt my meals accordingly. Their Web site makes it easy to change my delivery schedule and box contents if I choose. I receive an e-mail in advance that lists the produce I will receive, which helps for planning meals and other shopping needed for the week. The packing slip lists the local or imported source of each product. Delivery is free with a minimum order amount.

Another option in the Bay Area is Planet Organics (http://www.planetorganics.com/), which enables you to shop online for organic produce and other products. They also offer a delivery service. Their Web site provides a resource for producers, growers, and consumers.

No comments: