Home Page

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Red Barn Store at Oak Hill Farm

After touring Oak Hill Farm, I shopped at the Red Barn Store. What a treat to step into the cool store after being in the midday sun, and to be met with the intense fragrance of real produce. And how satisfying to see the produce I’d seen in the fields now washed up and presented on the shelves like pieces of art, and ready to be taken home to create flavorful and nutritious meals. Herbs, berries, watermelon, peppers, chard, eggplant, carrots, flowers and bouquets, squash, cucumbers, to name a few, beckoned from the shelves.

Eggplant
Apples
Peppers
Berries

The Red Barn Store was handling a continual stream of customers. I did my part to contribute. Some of my purchases included a beautiful sunflower bouquet, an assortment of heirloom tomatoes, a bunch of aromatic basil, olive oil (grown and pressed by Lucero Olive Oil with the Oak Hill Farm label), intensely fragrant apples for pie or apple sauce, and fingerling potatoes that look like ginger root and have a wonderful earthy smell. I would have purchased more, but there are only two of us at home now that our son is back to college.

Now I’m ready to make the kitchen smell good with all these fresh, beautiful ingredients, and the lettuce, peas, parsley, and tomatoes from my own little raised bed. Bon appétit!

No comments: