Home Page

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Back to School – Tree ID

Well, tonight I’m heading back to Merritt College to resume work on my Landscape Horticulture certificate. Merritt offers a great program in Landscape Horticulture – including a certificate program, with several different emphases, and a new AA degree. Over the last four years I have been taking classes for the basic certificate. I took a year off to pursue my own research and writing, and to wait for the classes I need to complete the certificate.

This semester I’m taking the Tree ID class, which focuses on trees used in San Francisco Bay Area landscaping. I’ll be learning about native trees and Mediterranean trees that do well in our mild climate. Plant ID courses require lots of memorization, which is daunting at a certain age. But, I managed to survive the Mediterranean Plant ID course a couple years ago, so I’m ready for the challenge. Plus, it is probably good for my brain to learn 150 trees (give or take) in a four month period.

What is the Latin name for these pepper berry street trees?
Pretty soon, I'll be able to tell you!
Answer: Pistacia chinensis (Chinese Pistache).

I plan to keep blogging during the semester, but if I miss some posts, you’ll know why. Think of me, I’ll probably be studying a list of Latin plant names, and trying to identify them in a plant photo lineup!

No comments: