Home Page

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Soil Compaction Recovery – Step 2

The next part of my soil recovery plan was to plant a cover crop, similar to what farmers do to protect the soil. I had learned more about cover crops when I visited Oak Hill Farm in Sonoma County last fall. They use an organic cover from Le Ballister’s Seed and Fertilizer in Santa Rosa. They plant the cover crop in the fall, typically in October, and then mow it down and incorporate it into the soil in February.  Farm Manager David Cooper had admonished it is important to mow before the seeds set.
100% Organic Plowdown cover crop mix.

Pea, bean, barley, oat, and vetch seeds.

I ordered 15 pounds (the minimum shipping order) of the 100% Certified Organic Plowdown Mix. The mix includes Magnus peas, bell beans, barley, oats, and vetch. Many of these are in the legume family, which means they set nitrogen. I seeded densely in my zeal, but I’m sure a seasoned farmer would know better.

Seeded in.
Watered in.

I tamped down the seeds into the soil as instructed, and then watered in. Within a couple of weeks I was rewarded with bright green new growth, and on my way to repairing the compacted soil.

The cover crop emerged in October, a couple of weeks after planting.

No comments: