Home Page

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thanksgiving

Finally – it is Thanksgiving Eve, and I have one thing on my mind – turkey dinner! And mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, cranberry salad, and sweet potatoes. And, maybe pumpkin pie with whipped cream. OK, so I have a lot on my mind. I love this time of year – the traditions, trying something new, counting my blessings (and considering that some hardships may be a blessing in disguise).

Waiting for the turkey

Thinking of turkey, reminds me of a lunch-time walk out in Dublin, California last year. At the time, I was researching street trees through the seasons. It was fall – warm in the sun, bright blue sky, golden-brown leaves, and chilly around the edges. I spotted a herd of turkeys on the sidewalk ahead, but they seemed to scatter. I strode on. Gradually I became aware of a click- click sound behind me. I walked faster. The sound continued – click-click. I hurried on as the sound increased – click-click. I whirled around to find the herd of eight to ten turkeys following me, with the click-click of their claws on the pavement.

Part of me found this endearing – they were like baby ducks or geese, imprinted to follow anything that moves. Another part of me had the irrational thought that these birds are actually dinosaurs. Remember the scene in Jurassic Park where the cute, chicken-like dinosaurs with flaring hoods bring down a man by blinding him, then attacking him en masse? Luckily, I escaped.

I plan to enjoy my turkey dinner this year, enjoy the people around me, and thank God for the blessings and trials of life!

No comments: