Home Page

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Looking Ahead to 2018 – Sabbatical


Happy New Year! Hope this post finds you both worn out from holiday fun, and recharged for the new year ahead. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our time with our son, daughter-in-law, and Mako (their Alaskan Husky). I love the Christmas holiday for its spiritual significance and focus on what is important. It is the perfect time for gathering with loved ones, giving gifts, and eating delicious food. It’s also a time to reflect on the previous year, express gratitude, and focus on new challenges.
Crows - concept sketch by Jason Quisenberry (2010)

Looking ahead, I’ve decided to follow the idea of sabbatical. In Hebrew scripture, God created for six days, and then rested on the seventh day, and commanded us to do the same (if not you will surely die). Likewise, every seventh year agricultural land was to be left fallow in order to renew. Academia has a history of sabbaticals, giving scholars time to research and write, and some corporations offer sabbaticals for a similar reason. The idea is to change the routine, which can lead to rejuvenation, creativity, and productivity.

For my sabbatical, I plan to have no plans! I have a few personal and family projects in mind, and some major gardening work to do (a concept sketch, of sorts). I intend to follow my passion for plants and gardens and writing about it, but want to try new things, new technologies, and new projects. I'm not sure where that will lead, but that is part of the adventure. Hope you will join me on this journey!

No comments: