Home Page

Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Where are the Hummingbirds?

My husband and I have been enjoying hummingbirds in the garden this year, starting in late spring and lasting through the summer. They flit from Pittosporum blossoms in the side yard, to the vibrant calendulas in containers, to the white agapanthus, to the flowering trees and plants throughout the yard. They even occasionally drink from the communal terracotta bird baths under the oak tree.


Hummingbird feeder in the Pittosporum

I recently hung a hummingbird feeder in the Pittosporum tree that grows in the side yard. It's the perfect location, close to shelter and protection from the tree, and viewable from both our offices. I picked a discrete looking glass model, which resembles a Mason jar. It serves up clear sugar water via white and yellow metal "daisies". We thought watching beautiful hummingbirds from our offices would be inspirational and a great distraction.


View from my husband's office

View from my office

For about a month, nothing happened. Not a single hummingbird visited the new feeder, even though I continued to see hummingbirds in the yard, visiting real flowers. Admittedly, that is better, both for nutrition and pollination. 


Finally, we had a visitor! The hummingbird took a good long drink, and then seemed to "look over" the feeder, before flitting off. Now that the hummingbird feeder has been discovered and tested, maybe we'll get more visitors. I'll keep the feeder cleaned and filled for the coming days as blossoms become scarce.

No comments: