Home Page

Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Field Notes for May

Welcome back to Field Notes!


May 1, 2024

Today I start the next season of life as a retiree, and I plan to do absolutely nothing. What a delicious feeling! It won't last for long - I have too many outings, projects, and plans for that. But, I want to pause during the transition, and see what it feels like to be newly retired!


I plan to do absolutely nothing today, but there are a few projects in my future ...


May 3, 2024

Saw this beautiful white wisteria on my afternoon walk in the neighborhood. I love its long tendrils of white blossoms and how graceful they look draping over the fence.


White blossoms (Wisteria floribunda)


May 5, 2024

Over the weekend, our neighborhood was visited by a mass migration of birds. Hundreds (maybe a thousand or more) descended on our neighbor's toyon for its red berries, then rested on another neighbor's weeping willow, and then swarmed through our oak tree possibly hunting for caterpillars and insects. It was a glorious flurry of wings and wind and bird song. Merlin ID identified them as Cedar Waxwing from the song. Below is a detailed view from a larger photo. 


Gathering of Cedar Waxwing in the neighbor's tree


May 7, 2024

My Aunt Char, husband Rick, and I enjoyed lunch at Fentons Creamery in Oakland today, and celebrated a birthday and my recent retirement. Aunt Char and I typically split the crab sandwich and then each have room for our own Black and Tan Junior ice cream confection (two scoops of toasted almond ice cream). Yum!

Aunt Char recently wrote her memoirs using the Storyworth platform. I was so pleased to receive a copy of her book at Christmas and to read more about her life and memories (I still need her to sign my copy). We had a great time together at lunch and look forward to our next gathering together!


May 12, 2024

Check out these glorious yellow panicles on this Aeonium Black Rose Tree, spotted in the neighborhood on my afternoon walk! 


Aeonium Black Rose Tree (Aeonium arboreum 'Zwartkop'


May 15, 2024

Today my Aunt Char and I are flying to Juneau, Alaska to visit my folks, brother, and sister-in-law! We were all together last year about this time, and had the best time together (see Jensen-Olson Arboretum and Alaska - The Last Frontier). Time for another visit!


Alaska Airlines on the tarmac in Juneau, Alaska


May 17, 2024

I learned today that our beloved Mako left for the Happy Hunting Grounds this afternoon. He was 15 in dog years, and an Alpha male to the end. Mako looked out for his pack - routinely walking through the house and patio to determine everyone's whereabouts (especially Jason). He was always available for a snack, a walk, or an adventure. He was legendary for being able to remove the squeaker from any squeaky toy in seconds flat. We will miss his sweet presence in our lives, but will hold him close in our hearts.


Mako on patrol from the car in his younger years 


May 22, 2024

Having a great time in Juneau, Alaska - wish you were here! A favorite activity is an outing to the Mendenhall Glacier. It has been receding since our family arrived in Juneau (close to 70 years ago) and it has been so interesting to watch the process.


Mendenhall Glacier to the left, and Nugget Falls to the right
(in the foreground, the land is protected for Arctic Tern nesting)



No comments: