Home Page

Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Dye Project: Poinsettia Bracts

A few weeks ago I tried a new solar dyeing project, using the bracts that I collected from a Poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima) last Christmas. The plant was a gift from our gardener, Mr. Nygren, and was an especially vibrant red color. The growers' label described that the Aztecs used poinsettia bracts to create a pink-purple dye. I collected the bracts as they fell off the plant and let them air dry.


Solar dyeing with Poinsettia bracts - salt mordant (day 14)

I used a single dish towel (WOF is 2.7 ounces/77 grams) that had been scoured, mordanted with salt, brightened with ammonia, and previously dyed with cabbage (see Dye Project: Red Cabbage). I collected .7 ounces/20 grams of dried bracts, so the WOF% was 26%. Dyers typically recommend equal weight of fabric and plant material when solar dyeing, but I compensated with time (two weeks) to extract as much color as possible. I added 2 teaspoons of alum to the dye bath.


The results - a surprising greenish gray

The result is a surprising greenish-gray color (the photo doesn't capture it well), and certainly not a pinkish-purply color! Perhaps I'll try again next year with the next holiday Poinsettia bracts, and possibly a different mordant. Experimentation is part of the fun of dyeing with plants!


No comments: