Home Page

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Bamboo Trellis

As with the tomatoes, the pole beans and peas are getting taller. I planted in two phases this year, about four weeks apart. The plants from the first phase need support; they are clinging to each other and to the tomato cages. It is fascinating to see how pole beans enwine a support, and sugar snap peas reach out with their tendrils, then grasp and cling to whatever they encounter.


Bamboo trellis for beans and peas - a work in progress

Last year I erected a bamboo cage structure to support the pea vines, however, as the plants became heavier and laden with produce, the structure toppled and needed to be propped up. This year I decided to anchor the bamboo poles to the side of the raised bed with C-clamps for better support. I usually tie my own webbing with string, attached to the bamboo structure, but this year I purchased fabricated webbing. We’ll see how well these improvements work.

Supplies for the bamboo trellis

No comments: