Home Page

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Tomato Cages

The tomato plants are getting taller - they have almost tripled in size since I planted the starters in late June (close to 7 weeks). I planted four varieties this year. Most are indeterminate, meaning they keep producing fruit until killed by frost (versus determinate, meaning they stop growing once the fruit is set); and their “days to maturity” vary, so I should have a nice long run of tomato. Varieties include Sweet 100 (65 days to maturity, and determinate), Sebastapol Heirloom (70 days), Matt’s Wild Cherry (75 days), and Brandywine Heirloom (85 days). All four plants have many small yellow flowers, which is promising.

A series of three-sided tomato cages
I typically create bamboo structures to support the tomato vines, but this year I’m trying something different. I purchased cages that consist of three wire panels. They fold into a triangular cage during the growing season, then fold flat for storage (a great idea for older San Francisco Bay Area homes that are short on storage). I chose this collapsible design, over cone shaped wire cages, which require more storage space. The triangle cages were fairly easy to assemble, although the cages kept hooking to each other until I got them all separated.

You do not need to use cages – tomatoes are vines that grow naturally along the ground. In Bend, Oregon, my sister lets her tomato vines grow horizontally (with 30 acres, there is plenty of room for that)!
In a smaller garden, there are advantages to going vertical – more vines can be planted in the same area, pests may have a more difficult time attacking your tomatoes, plants receive more light and air circulation, and it is easier to harvest.

No comments: