Home Page

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Vegetable Garden – Three Weeks

It has been about three weeks since I planted the first batch of veggies in the raised bed. So far, everything has grown, except for the carrots. The carrots sprouted, but disappeared; most likely eaten by some creature. The tomato plants all have yellow blossoms, and will soon require cages. The pole beans are still short enough to stand on their own, but the peas need a trellis soon for support. I’m looking for a sturdy, inexpensive solution.

Raised bed vegetable garden at three weeks

It’s also time to thin the sprouts. For some reason, this is very difficult for me to do. It seems wrong to thin plants that look so healthy. But, I’m always surprised how quickly the remaining plants respond to thinning. They seem to double and triple their size over night, as soon as there is more room. Thinning (or transplanting) really does increase yield. 

Tender lettuce, spreading out in container
Tender lettuce sprouts, growing close together in the raised bed

I can see the difference in the lettuces I planted. On the left, the lettuce plant in the container has plenty of room, and spreads out. On the right, the lettuce plants ended up all jammed together because of our unseasonable rains. Their growth seems stunted. I plan to transplant them, to give them more room.  That should keep me busy on the Fourth of July weekend!

No comments: