Home Page

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Christmas Trees

Last weekend I passed the Lucky Supermarket loading dock as they were unloading Christmas trees. I was enveloped with the sweet fragrance of pine while I loaded my groceries into my trunk. Decorating the Christmas tree is one of the fun projects of the season. We drag out the boxes of decorations, set up the tree, and cover it with amber lights, beautiful glass balls from Germany, and tiny angels and musical instrumentals. We typically play the DVD “It’s a Wonderful Life” while we decorate, reminisce about Christmases past, and snack on fresh-baked cookies and eggnog.

Growing up in Alaska, we typically hiked into the woods to find our Christmas tree. Dad brought the saw or ax, Mom brought a thermos of hot chocolate, and my brother, sister, and I trudged through the fresh snow considering the merits of each tree. Some years, our clan came to visit from Southern California. Together we—from my Grandmother down to the youngest cousin—picked the right tree, chopped it down, and hauled it back to the car. Sitka spruce and pine were the best. Hemlock dried out and lost its needles too early. We decorated the tree with colored lights, tinsel, and ornaments, some of which were homemade.

Selecting a Christmas tree in Southeast Alaska.

After my husband and I married and settled in Southern California, we visited Christmas tree lots to find our tree. Our favorite was the Noble Fir, grown in Oregon, with its distinct lateral branches, which showcase ornaments so well. When our son was born, we discovered local, urban Christmas tree farms, where they actually grew the trees, typically under massive power lines. Our rambling ranch-style house had a high ceiling, so we bought the tallest tree we could afford.

Later we moved to Northern California, and started buying our trees from the Boy Scouts in Montclair. We had great times sorting through their collection of pines, to find the perfect tree for our small Bay Area cottage. Now, my husband and I are content to pull out our artificial tree that is pre-wired for lights. It takes just a few minutes to assemble, and looks beautiful once decorated. But it does not have the heavenly fragrance of a fresh evergreen.

No comments: