Home Page

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Winter

Winter is another subtle season in the San Francisco Bay Area. Days are shorter now, and we have had several of our seasonal rains. Temperatures hover in the 50 degree range, but may spike during the day or plummet at night. Fog, or even frost, may be on the car windows in the early morning. The sun is lower in the sky, and somehow always seems to be in my eyes.

The garden is neglected – it is typically dark when I get up in the morning and dark when I get off work in the evening; and cold enough during the weekends that any garden task can wait until the weather is warmer. The garden seems to be “dormant.” I recently took a stroll through our small garden. In truth, I found signs that nature is very active, and many things are happening in the garden.

Azalea bud
Hydrangea bud
Ivy florals
Magnolia bud
Rhododendron bud
Tulip tree bud


No comments: