Home Page

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Secret Garden

Recently I spent several hours in a secret garden in Berkeley. By secret garden, I simply mean a private, out-of-the way place that can be used as a retreat. In this case, the garden was a corner turn away from a busy courtyard used by many. My husband introduced me to the garden, and suggested I might enjoy it while waiting for him to finish up some work before a dinner date.
 
Secret garden in Berkeley


The afternoon was unseasonably hot and bright, so this shaded garden seemed like a great place to relax and read. The design is simple – a raised bed with a central fountain is surrounded by plantings. Three wooden benches provide seating for contemplative meditation; private conversation; or undisturbed reading or studying. Leafy trees provide dappled light, and a painted wall provides a visually stimulating background.

Raised bed in the secret garden - benches are hidden behind the fountain
My husband was right – I did enjoy this shady retreat and a chance to read and think in a beautiful environment.

No comments: