Home Page

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Back to the Feed Store

When my brother-in-law announces an outing to the feed store, I love to tag along. His mission is usually parts for the farm equipment or irrigation system, feed for the chickens, or salt licks for the cattle. Mine is the gardening department (but I love to shop cross-departments, because you never know what you’re going to find). On this visit, a bunch of us piled into the car to go to the Big R Store in Redmond, Oregon. I learned that both of my folks were familiar with feed stores in Southern California, since their families raised chickens and rabbits during their youth.

Big R Stores in Redmond, Oregon

As I reported in a past post (see “Feed Store Fun”), you can buy anything for the ranch, farm, and garden at the feed store. They even carry clothing, toys, canning supplies, barbecue gear, patio furniture, and anything you can think of for the home. This is a great business model, since there is something for the whole family!
The garden department

I’m always on the lookout for something new. Last time, I found CowPots™ (planting pots made from 100% Renewable Composted Cow Manure). This time I hit pay dirt with drip irrigation parts. I have wanted more control over my drip line, but have been unable to find what I need. At Big R I found valves for ½” and ¼” tubing, and a manifold for six lines, each of which has its own shut off valve. I also found a 360 degree fogger mister that will be great for ferns. I can hardly wait to experiment.

Shut off valve for 1/2" drip line (open position)
 
Shut off valve for 1/4" drip line (closed position)
 
Six-line manifold with shut off valves for each line
 
360 degree fogger mister for water loving plants
 

These parts are distributed by DIG Corporation out of Vista, California. See their web site at www.digcorp.com; under Professional, navigate to the shutoff valve page. Looks like there is a distributor here in the San Francisco Bay Area, in nearby Berkeley!
 

No comments: