Home Page

Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Spring on the Iron Horse Trail


Over the last couple of months, I've been exploring the Bishop Ranch area in San Ramon. My office moved from Dublin to Bishop Ranch in January (see Roaming in San Ramon), so I have been having fun exploring the nearby walking trails, man-made lakes, and shopping areas. I obtained a library card from the nearby San Ramon branch of the Contra Costa County Library (I'm already on the hunt for good movies starring movie star plants). Best of all, I've taken some long rambling hikes on the Iron Horse Regional Trail, which passes through the Bishop Ranch area.
Lone commuter on the Iron Horse Trail
Mile 18.25 heading south from Concord to Dublin

The Iron Horse Trail currently runs from Concord to Dublin, California. The 24-plus mile trail follows the Southern Pacific Railroad route, which was started in 1891 and shut down in 1977. As a railroad bed, the trail is straight, wide, and flat. The multi-use trail is used by pedestrians, commuters, and equestrians (with restrictions in some areas). The plan is to eventually span the distance from Suisun Bay in Contra Costa County to Livermore in Alameda County. This is a fabulous idea for repurposing an abandoned railroad line – one that benefits everyone.
Lush green countryside near Bishop Ranch
Rambling roses along the Iron Horse Trail

So far, my range is limited - I've walked the trail between Norris Canyon Road and Montevideo Drive. The trail is always busy with joggers, walkers, kids heading home from school, and bicyclists (no horses so far). Spring on the trail has been beautiful - green vegetation, flowers, the trees are leafing out and some are flowering. No goats or turkeys yet, but I'm on the lookout!







No comments: