Home Page

Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Roses at Bishop Ranch

Roses thrive in the hot inland environment of San Ramon, Dublin and Pleasanton. Hot days are cooled somewhat at night by marine breezes that come in through the passes, and the tri-valley uses potable water, so roses never lack for water.


Lovely pink, rambling sidewalk roses

Hot pink roses in a shady planter

Roses are planted liberally at Bishop Ranch, both in planters and along sidewalks. It is a treat to encounter them while out walking in the late afternoon (when the temperature is a little cooler). The intoxicating perfume of roses hangs in the warm afternoon air.

My Example








I've never had success growing roses (I've always lived where it is too shady, too cold, or too dry). But I am fascinated with the colors, varieties, and fragrances, and love to see them thriving in the right environment.

White roses flourishing in the shady heat

Roses perfume the sidewalk

From the brief reading I've done, roses from China (which bloom continually, but are very tender), have been hybridized with roses from Europe (which bloom once, but were very hardy). The resulting varieties are tough and bloom continually through several seasons, depending on the climate. One day I'll learn more, in the meantime, I'll just enjoy roses of all kinds wherever I encounter them, whether Bishop Ranch or beyond (such as Woodside, Sacramento, San Luis Obispo, and Spokane)!

No comments: