Home Page

Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Field Report: Camelia Bloom Cycle

We've lived in our San Francisco Bay Area home for over 23 years, through all kinds of weather and environmental conditions. During most of that time, the camellia bushes (Camellia japonica spp.) have bloomed like clockwork from November through February. I've used them to decorate holiday tables from Thanksgiving to Christmas to Valentine's Day. 

Pink camellias

In the last several years, however, the camellia blossoms have appeared later and later in our yard, often from late January to April.

White camellia

Camellias are lovely whenever they arrive, but the change in bloom cycle does represent quite a shift. Admittedly, our bushes are aging and may be feeling their years. It will be interesting to see their bloom cycle trends in the years to come. I may need to find an alternative bloom for my winter holiday table settings.


Red camellia

 

4 comments:

clipping paths said...

Wow, beautiful flowers shall I grow in my area. It is looking much prettier than roses, Believe me, your photographs inspired me.

Pricila Khan said...

Hi,
Your all image is very pretty. Especially this follower is awesome and lovely. I like these flowers very much. Also, these have become more beautiful in your photography. I will definitely put these in my house.

Thank you

Clipping Path Asia

Anonymous said...

WOw! Such an awesome campfire blog put here. My Website

Photo editing blog said...

It's a great blog. we also enjoyed this blog

best regards,
Clipping Path universe