Home Page

Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Seeds to Dye For: July Check In

 Three months a ago I sowed the seeds for a few dye plants in our Oakland garden (see Seeds to Dye For). So far the calendula seeds (Calendula officinalis) are showing the most promise. Our weather here in the San Francisco Bay Area has been ideal for them, since they bloom best in cool weather, and our temperature has been in the low to mid-70s all summer.

Calendula officinalis

I planted Orange & Lemon Twist (Butterfly Calendula Mix) and Flashback Calendula (Butterfly Mix), and the flowers are cheery shades of yellow and orange. According to Mother Earth News, calendula flowers produce light, lemon yellows, olive-browns, and light browns, depending on the fabric and mordant used.

Orange & Lemon Twist (left container) and Flashback Calendula (right container)

The plants are really packed in their containers, since I failed to thin the seedlings as recommended. They get a good supply of water applied to the soil, and not splashed on the  leaves, to reduce the chance of mildew. The lower leaves are showing signs of yellowing and wilt so I may be overwatering them (I am notorious for killing plants with kindness).


Yellow calendula

Following recommendations on the web, I've started gathering flowers, just as they pass their prime. Most information say to dry the flowers, but my method of freezing flowers has worked on other projects. With a second sowing possible in late summer, I should be able to gather enough petals with which to experiment! Stay tuned!

Orange calendula


No comments: