Home Page

Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Here are the Hummingbirds

A few months ago I lamented Where are the Hummingbirds. I had hung a hummingbird feeder in late summer, but it seemed to be shunned by hummingbirds in favor of flowers. That's understandable, and desirable, for them to prefer the real thing, but I was eager to host some hummingbird guests!


Hummingbird visitor in early winter

Now that it is winter, I am observing daily visits to the feeder. The hummingbirds frequently take long drinks, and even "rest" on the perch after drinking. So far I haven't been able to identify the species. They are typically gray or brown, and are not showy at all (possibly female?). I've read that hummingbirds are very territorial, and have noticed that several of the metallic flowers seem to be visited by different birds. I'm wondering whether this is a form of territorialism.




It's a challenge to photograph and video the fleeting visits to the feeder, but it is great fun to observe hummingbirds in action!

No comments: