Home Page

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

San Francisco Garden Show Highlights – 2016


My aunt and I attended the San Francisco Garden Show last week, and I’m still thinking about the new ideas. I compiled a list of garden designers during the show (my husband and I want to partner with a professional on a renovation plan that retains some of the bones of our garden, but becomes more climate friendly).

Abraxas Crow garden ornaments

Now I’m thinking about some of the details we saw, like these wonderful iron birds from Abraxas Crow, out of Port Townsend, Washington. I’m especially partial to the crows and ravens, but any of these would bring artful whimsy into the garden. I also love some of the hardscaping we saw in the water gardens.


Water basin with ladle

Koi inscription



Bonsai tree

My aunt I love to see the beautiful bonsai trees showcased by the Bonsai Society San Francisco. Many of the trees have been in training for decades. I’m always torn to see a mighty tree reduced to its miniature version, but they are so beautiful!


Bladderpod - California native 

Dahlia's in every color and shape

Thin vase for dramatic appeal

Succulents in coral pink



The Garden Show is a great place to shop. Many native and hard-to-find plants are available, and many at great prices. Gold Rush Nursery is becoming one of my favorite vendors (but Sunset, and others had wonderful displays of California natives available for sale). We also saw lots of vegetable starters, Dahlias, succulents, accessories and more.

Strike green gold at Gold Rush Nursery

This is the place to purchase Japanese maples, palms, and olive trees as well, or drool over the displays, and purchase at the nurseries.

Japanese maple from Essence of the Tree

It will probably take most of the year to research all the plants, products, and garden design ideas we saw at the show. But I think that is the point – to discover new ideas, and put them to good use!

No comments: