Home Page

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Indoor Hanging Garden


Several years ago, my husband and I vacationed in Zion and Bryce National Parks in beautiful Southern Utah. We love to travel in fall, and visited in late October when deciduous trees were either bare, or sporting red and gold leaves; and only a few fall flowers were in bloom. It is difficult to beat the golden fall light, the warm days and crisp nights, and the stars.

I was especially struck with the beautiful Weeping Rock in Zion National Park. I loved how the water seeped over the rock face and dripped off overhangs; and how moss, algae, and aquatic plants clung to rocks, and were bathed in the water. At the time, I thought what a great idea it would be to emulate this hanging garden in a home or public garden (see: Hanging Gardens).

Hanging garden at a restaurant in Bend, Oregon


Last summer I saw a hanging garden in a restaurant in Bend, Oregon, that could have been inspired by Weeping Rock. Smaller scale, of course, but it captured some of the elements of the Zion National Park. I love this idea of bringing a bit of nature in doors!

No comments: