Home Page

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Soil Compaction - Step Four

Back to my soil recovery project for an update. Recall in Soil Compaction Recovery - Step 3, my cover crop was fully developed. Soon after that report, I cut down the cover using a machete; and turned under the soil to break it up and incorporate the roots and plant material. As an experiment I left a corner section unturned, with the idea of planting seeds in the soil without disturbing it. I have read that some farmers are using this technique on a large scale to help preserve soil.

The soil is prepared.

In July I planted several varieties of beans and peas in this small 10 x 10 foot plot. I fertilized with organic Alaska fish fertilizer, laid out my rows, and planted seven types of seed. I was pleased at how friable and tillable the soil was after just one cover crop. Per usual, I had a few experiments going, including: (1) using seeds for 2012, (2) using seeds from 2004, (3) using seeds from a variety of growers (Burpee, Ferry-Morse, Cornucopia, Seeds of Change, and NK Lawn and Garden), and (4) using Heirloom seeds that I harvested from my bean crop last year.


Planting lines.

I expanded my drip system to the new plot, by adding a second line to my hose system, and and a switch between the two lines. Eventually I plan to install a more permanent, and automated, drip system, but am content for now to learn all I can about drip systems and how they work.


Second drip line added.

I also reused my bamboo trellis from last year - moving it out of the raised bed, and installing it in my recovery plot for the bean and peas. The trellis is looking a little shoddy, but the bamboo, plastic cinches, and webbing appeared strong enough to handle another season.

Repurposed bamboo trellis.

No comments: