Home Page

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Seed Gallery (Alaska Ark)


I am taking advantage of my dad’s latest project of collecting seeds from all over the Western United States, by photographing some of the seeds using my Plugable Digital Microscope (a gift from my wonderful husband). Together we’re creating an informal ark of seeds and images!

Below is another gallery of seeds, this time collected from my folk’s garden in Southeast Alaska. As we’ve discussed before, gardening is tricky in Southeast Alaska because of the short growing season (albeit long summer days), and lots of rain, but my mom and dad have a beautiful garden every summer. See: Little House in Southeast Alaska, and Rainforest Gardening.

This time I scrapped the light table to illuminate the seeds from below, but am still experimenting with lighting and focusing techniques from above [compare with Seed Gallery (California Ark)]. These seeds are quite small, so I’m providing individual and group shots. Note that these seeds are not Alaska natives (although there is a native dandelion subspeciesssp. ceratophorum). Still, the plants are hardy enough to survive the rigors of Southeast Alaska, so they are included in the Alaska ark!

Digitalis purpurea (Foxglove seeds and dried leaf bit; 1/4 inch grid)

Foxglove
(group shot)

Leucanthemum x superba (Shasta Daisy seeds and dried flower bit)

Shasta Daisy
(group shot)

Taraxicum officinale (Dandelion seeds and parachutes)

Dandelion
(group shot)


No comments: