Home Page

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Seed Gallery (California Ark)


For the last year or so, my dad (the consummate naturalist and forester) has been working on a seed gathering project. Collecting seeds is a great idea, both for plant propagation in our gardens, and for preservation. Seed banks help preserve genetic diversity, provide a source for plant breeders, protect heritage plant varieties, and provide a seed source in case of natural disasters or war. In my dad’s case, I suspect he is just having pure, science fun!

Here is a gallery of some of the seeds collected throughout California. The pictures are taken with my Plugable Digital Microscope. I’m still working on techniques for using the tool to take botanical photos. In this case, I tried using a light table below the seed, but not sure it adds much (compare with Zooming In).

Pimpenella anisum
(Anise)


Encelia farinose
(Brittle Bush)

Washingtonia filifera
(California Fan Palm)

Yucca brevifolia
(Joshua Tree)

Marah macrocarpus
(Wild Cucumber)

Unidentified - grass-like plant


No comments: