Home Page

Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Amaryllis Care

It's no secret that I love Amaryllis blossoms (Hippeastrum spp.) If in doubt, see Forcing Bulbs: AmaryllisFavorite Christmas Plants, and Forcing Amaryllis Bulbs. Once they bloom, I let the bulbs go dormant, and then replant them in large communal pots. With some care, the bulbs flower in subsequent years, although the blooms are typically smaller and not as bodacious as the initial bloom. It is still satisfying.

Amaryllis bulbs of various ages (mature and pups)

I noticed that my pots of Amaryllis were starting to look a little bedraggled, and a few plants were dusted with white powder, indicating some kind of pest. Time for some clean up and TLC!

Soaking the roots in a little water

I dug up the bulbs and inspected the roots. They looked long, strong, and healthy, despite what was happening above ground. I trimmed the shoots, cut the roots back to about 4 inches long, and then let the roots soak in a pail of clean water to mitigate the shock. This gave me time to scrub the pots inside and out.

Fresh soil in the clean pots

Next, I replanted the bulbs in fresh potting soil, being careful not to damage the roots, and then topped-dressed with fresh moss. Finally, I watered them in carefully, to make sure the bulbs did not get flooded with water. After several weeks, the bulbs have started putting out leaves.

Freshly planted and top-dressed with moss

We'll see if the special care encourages another round of blossoms. In the meantime, I'm content to watch the fresh foliage grow.

No comments: