Home Page

Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Sabbatical, Seasons, and Seasons of LIfe

Our theme this year is "Sabbatical, Seasons, and Seasons of Life". That's a mouthful, but it represents my goals for 2024. I'm self-proclaiming a year of sabbatical, in order to focus on several big projects and endeavors, and to pursue some new and different interests. Sabbatical conveys taking time to rest and restore, and exploring new horizons. Life has been pretty hectic and relentless for a long time, and I find myself re-evaluating my goals, pursuits, and priorities. Time for change! The last sabbatical I claimed was in 2018 (see Looking Ahead to 2018 – Sabbatical). Time for another one!

Nature is a big part of rest and restoration, and provides all kinds of inspiration. I love the seasons and the transition from one season to another. Each has its own beauty (or bane, in some cases)! Even here in the San Francisco Bay Area (where you might think the temperate coastal climate offers no seasons), we have distinct weather patterns, microclimates, and whole palettes of plants that offer up seasonal change. I'm looking forward to spending more time in nature and in the garden, observing flora and fauna, and looking for inspiration.


Seasons: (top row) Spring and Summer
(lower row) Fall and Winter

As with the seasons of nature, the seasons of life also change. I have to admit, I'm not getting any younger, and neither are any of the family and friends that are travelling through life with me. I want to honor that and see what the next season of life has in store and what it might look like. What has come to the end of its season of life, and what is just beginning? What no longer serves my life, and what would enrich it? It should be an interesting year of adventure. As always, I hope you'll join me on the journey!

No comments: